Who conducts this examination and why?
The CSIR NET examination is conducted by the NTA (National Testing Agency) in order to evaluate candidates for the award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) or eligibility for lectureship as assistant professors in colleges.
Marking Scheme of this examination
Three sections having a total of 120 questions make up the exam. While sections B and C will stress on questions that are subject-specific, section A, that is the general ability section will evaluate candidates’ general aptitude. All the sections will have four alternative options in each question. Section A has 20 questions of 2 marks each. You have to attempt only a maximum of 15 questions from this section. Section B has 40 questions of 3 marks each. You have to attempt only a maximum of 25 questions. Section A and B will have only one correct answer with a 25 percent negative marking. Section C has 60 questions of 4.75 marks each. You have to attempt only a maximum of 20 questions from this section. Section C may have one or more correct answers and marks will be given only when the exact number of correct answers are marked. However, there is no negative marking in section C.
Tips to prepare for CSIR NET
Now that you know the marking scheme, we suggest you become familiar with the syllabus and follow the tips given below during your preparation.
- Try to stay in a cheerful and optimistic atmosphere. Stay away from negative people who discourage you. Paste motivational posters beside your study table to always stay motivated. Set a target score and write it somewhere in your eyes’ reach and keep reminding yourself of your target. Also, do NOT skip meals. Maintain a healthy lifestyle and drink lots of water. Take breaks while studying and listen to music or practice meditation or do something else that makes you feel refreshed and not tired.
- Start by deciding what csir net study materials you will use for your preparation. Ensure that the study materials you use are up to date with the current syllabus and cover the complete syllabus. Additionally you can refer to the notes you make while studying.
- Also decide if you want to go with self-preparation or take csir net coaching for mathematical sciences. Both have their own merits. If you decide to study on your own, you can do so as per your own planning. If you feel that you cannot plan on your own and need guidance, you can take coaching. Coaching also gives you a competitive environment and doubt-clearing sessions.
- Practice as much as you can. The more you practice, the more command you have over the topic. Use short tricks and formulas while solving numericals instead of using long methods. In the morning and noon hours, try to cover the portion that requires learning and dedicate evening hours for practice and revision. Do not leave doubts. Always clear them first and then move to the next topic.
- Revision is as important as learning. While taking notes, draw flowcharts and diagrams so that it becomes easier to revise. Revise all that you learn throughout the day before sleeping. If you spend 6 hours on learning, then spend 1 hour on revision. Write short formulas and highlight the frequently used ones. This would help during revision.
- Finish important topics first. During your preparation, highlight the topics from the syllabus that are important. Finish them first and if you have more time, finish the other sections. Try to complete the syllabus as giving the csir net examination without completing it might give you stress.
- Question Papers of previous years are of prime importance during preparation. They not only give you an idea of the csir net exam pattern but also help you practice with the type of questions asked in the exam.
- Keep taking mock tests to test how much you have learned. CSIR NET mock tests also help you to learn to manage time effectively. You can join the test series of any institute online for this purpose.
Stay away from distractions. Do not use social media too much. If you decide to take csir net coaching online, then keep no social media application on your device as they can be very distracting. Also,you will find many preparation plans and study resources on the internet. Pick any and stick to it. Do not leave space for confusion by changing plans or study materials frequently.