You can start your JAM entrance preparations from any year of B.Sc, either it could be 1st year, 2nd year or final year
STEP 1 : KNOW ABOUT THE JAM
JOINT ADMISSION TEST FOR Admission to M.Sc. (Two Years), Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D., M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree, M.Sc.-M.Tech., and other Post-Bachelor Degree Programmes at INDIAN INSTITUTES OF TECHNOLOGY BHUBANESWAR, BOMBAY, DELHI, GANDHINAGAR, GUWAHATI, HYDERABAD INDORE, JODHPUR, KANPUR, KHARAGPUR, MADRAS, PATNA, ROORKEE, ROPAR & Integrated Ph.D. Programmes at INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE, BANGALORE For more information refer website http://jam.iitd.ac.in/.
STEP 2 : PATTERN OF TEST PAPERS
- The JAM Exam is a single paper online examination of three hours, with 60 questions carrying a total of 100 marks.
- The question paper will consist of three section.
- Section–A contains a total of 30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) involving 10 questions of one mark each and 20 questions of two marks each.
- Section–B contains a total of 10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) carrying two marks each. Each MSQ type question is similar to MCQ but with a difference that there may be one or more than one choice(s) that are correct out of the four given choices.
- Section–C contains a total of 20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions involving 10 questions of one mark each and 10 questions of two marks each. For these NAT type questions, the answer is a signed real number.
STEP 3 : KNOW THE SYLLABUS & WEIGHTAGE OF EACH TOPIC THROUGH FOLLOWING TABLE
STEP 4 : SHOULD YOU JOIN COACHING?
Coming to whether you should seek coaching or not, time and again, JAM aspirants have proved that it is an individual choice. Several JAM aspirants have cracked the Entrance Examination in a single attempt without taking any coaching.
It was possible because of their confidence, self-motivation, determination and persistence. If you attend a coaching centre, you can interact with like-minded people, understand their perspectives, take tips from their learning styles, improve your knowledge and be abreast with latest updates.
The competitive environment will keep up your motivation levels. Inputs from faculty will help grasp more knowledge within limited period of time.
Taking tests that they conduct regularly will help you improve your speed and ability to handle different types of questions.
STEP 5 : SELECT GOOD BOOKS & MATERIALS FOR JAM PREPARATION
- Selections of good study materials are very important for JAM Preparations.
- As per some successful JAM aspirants, Chem Academy study material is sufficient for JAM/M.Sc entrance syllabus ,
- Reading one or two refrence books are sufficient for each sections of Chemistry.
- PHYSICAL : peter atkins, Levine, castellan
- ORGANIC : Clayden, Jerry Marsh, carey and sundberg
- INORGANIC: shriver and atkins, huheey
- You may prepare with online video lecture, course material, coaching notes, etc through www.chemacademy.in.
- You can also prepare the books that you have followed during undergraduate course.
STEP 6 : TIPS TO REMEMBER AND FOLLOW DURING PREPARATION
- Understand the previous year questions pattern
- Practice previous year questions during preparation
- Try to understand the concepts, practice tests and revise regularly.
- Most of the questions in JAM are conceptual & numerical, so you must try to improve your solving ability & time management to score a good rank.
- Your plan should include syllabus completion, revision, and practicing tests.
- It is a good idea to make a time table and formulate your daily tasks. Once you have set daily, weekly and monthly targets, you will see better results for the same amount of effort.
- First step in the preparation is to start with easy topic and important one. Toppers suggestion is to begin with basic topic.
- Read topic by topic to complete entire subject.
- Make a revision notes for each topic that should cover all important definition, formulas, differences, etc.
- Practice topic wise previous JAM questions after understanding the each topic.
- Attempt the tests for each topic and subject to know your performance.
- Clear all your doubts during your preparation.
- Identify the weakness areas while practicing quizzes/tests and try to revise and practice those topics.
STEP 7 : REVISE THE JAM PREPARATION
- It is not just sufficient enough to prepare revision notes, but also to revise them regularly.
- Read the revision notes on a weekly basis to recall the concepts of prepared subjects.
- Each time you revise the same topic/subject, your revision time will reduce to recall the concepts.
STEP 8 : PRACTICE THE MOCK TESTS
- You can practice the mock tests in two ways. One is self practice on daily basis, and other is attempting online mock tests.
- Practice the mock tests to improve the performance. Performance depends on how much time devoted to answer each question and how many questions are answered correctly.
STEP 9 : REVISE AND PRACTICE IN THE LAST STAGE
- Finally, you should give time for both revision and practicing.
- Practice more tests, identify the weaker topics in each test and revise them.
- You can practice 2 to 5 tests on every day and recall all concepts during your practice.
- Your confidence will be increased day by day of this stage.
STEP 10 : LAST MINUTE STRATEGY FOR JAM EXAM
- During last two days you are no need to study any new topics.
- During these two days, focus on revising the concepts.